Friday, September 28, 2012

8 Virtues of a Godly Woman.

In my literature class, me and my two friends (who make up the rest of the "class") are reading Benjamin Franklin's Autobiography.
Benjamin Franklin came up with 13 virtues that he worked on weekly to try better himself.
For an assignment last week, my two friends and I each had to come up with a list of our own virtues.
Here are mine.

8 Virtues of a Godly Woman.

1. Respect.
Children, obey your parents in the Lord, for it is right. "Honor your father and mother" - that is the first commandment with a promise - that it may go well with you and that you may enjoy long life on the earth.
Ephesians 6: 1-3.

Wives submit to your husbands.
Ephesians 5:22.

However each one of you must love his wife as he loves himself, and the wife must respect her husband.
Ephesians 5:33.

2. Modesty.
I also want women to dress modestly, with decency and propriety, not with braided hair or gold or pearls or expensive clothes, but with good deeds, appropriate for women who profess to worship God.
1 Timothy 2:9-10.

Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as braided hair and the wearing of gold jewelry and fine clothes. Instead, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God's sight.
1 Peter 3:3-4.

3. Wisdom.
She speaks with wisdom, and faithful instruction is on her tongue.
Proverbs 31:26.

Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a beautiful woman who shows no discretion.
Proverbs 11:22.

The discerning heart seeks knowledge, but the mouth of a fool feeds on folly.
Proverbs 15:14.

4. Kindness.
Therefore encourage one another and build each other up, just as in fact you are doing.
1 Thessalonians 5:11.

Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for the building other up, according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen.
Ephesians 4:29.

Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you.
Ephesians 4:32.

5. Joy.
All the days of the oppressed are wicked, but the cheerful heart has a continual peace.
Proverbs 15:15.

6. Contentment with submissiveness.
A woman should learn in quietness and full submission. I do not permit a woman to teach or to have authority over a man; she must be silent. For Adam was formed first, then Eve. And Adam was not the one deceived; it was the woman who was deceived and became a sinner. But women will be saved through childbearing - if they continue in faith, love and holiness with propriety.
1 Timothy 2: 11-15.

Wives, submit to your husbands as to the Lord. For the husband is the head of the wife as Christ is the head of the church, his body, of which he is the saviour. Now as the church submits to Christ, so also wives should submit to their husbands in everything.
Ephesians 5:22-24.

Wives, in the same way be submissive to your husbands so that, if any of them do not believe the word, they may be won over without words by the behaviour of their wives when they see the purity and reverence of your lives.
1 Peter 3:1-2.

7. Chastity.
Finally brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable - if anything is excellent or praiseworthy - think about such things.
Philippians 4:8.

Do not be hasty in the laying of hands, and do not share in the sins of others. Keep yourself pure.
1 Timothy 5:22.

Marriage should be honored by all, and the marriage bed kept pure, for God will judge the adulterer and all the sexually immoral.
Hebrews 13:4.

8. Know God.
My dear brothers, take note of this: everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak, and slow to become angry, for a man's anger does not bring about the righteous life that God desires.
James 1:19-20.

Whom have I in heaven but you? And earth has nothing I desire besides you.
Psalm 73:25.

O God, you are my God, earnestly I seek you; my soul thirsts for you, my body longs for you, in a dry and weary land where there is no water. I have seen you in the sanctuary and beheld your power and glory. Because your love is better than life, my lips will glorify you. I will praise you as long as I live, and in your name I will lift up my hands.
Psalm 63:1-4.

2 comments:

  1. I had a comment almost done and something ate it...now I'm mad at that something and am going to try and re-do said commet but it will be lacking in it's original brilliance.

    Thank you for your post. I needed these reminders, especially joy.

    My thoughts on Elementary are, conflicting. As a crime show I enjoyed it a lot. However, he will never be Sherlock. And she cannot be Watson. And I cringed when they were called that.
    I found him too open as Sherlock. To, willing to share his feelings - even though he didn't do it much. And, if I remember right he apologized to Watson, which the Sherlock in the books, I don't think he would have done so, at least not until the later stories. I only remember him saying sorry once, when he almost got Watson killed.
    I'm not complaining though. This all made it easier to pretend he isn't Sherlock. What did you think of him?
    I also found Watson too cold. He might have wanted to punch Sherlock at times, but he was still nice to him, even when Sherlock was asking for a punch in the nose.

    The saddest part for me too was the Doctor. I was sad for Rose, but she still got her family, even her dad. The Doctor lost her AND his friends. I think he was starting to like Jackie and Mickey a lot.
    I LOVE Donna!

    Aw yes, the fifth Doctor was the one who wore the celery. He will be fun. I don't think lots of people like him because he pouts or something, but I think that will just make him ore fun.

    Allon-y!

    ReplyDelete