Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Valley Forge

As I mentioned last night, we went to Valley Forge yesterday. Valley Forge is set up that you can drive through the park and stop where you want to at various places.
Valley Forge was the place where George Washington and his troops weathered the winter of 1777-1778. It was very cold and the troops didn't have adequate housing. Many died of sickness. Continental Congress sat on their lazy bums and didn't send supplies to the troops.
George Washington offered $12 to anyone who could make a log hut first. The men (who were able to get out of bed) set to work building log cabins to house everyone.
They turned out something like this:


Next we drove past a memorial arch for all the soldiers. Since it was raining, I ran out and took a few pictures, but didn't go up to the arch.


Then we went into a train station, which serves as an entry place for George Washington's headquarters.

"Which train would you like to take, sir?"


And now it's time to play..... Name That Shakespeare Play!
"I AM NOT MAD!!!!!!!!"


If you answered Macbeth you are wrong. If you answered Love's Labours Lost you are wrong. If you answered *drum roll* Twelfth Night you are RIGHT! You win.... The right to continue reading this blog post!

Tintin goes to a meeting with General Washington:


Waiting for the "train":



George Washington's headquarters (where he and his assistants planned and did business - mostly correspondence):


Inside it was very beautiful. They said about 80% of the building structure is still original from the 1700's! It was amazing walking on the same floor George Washington had 300 years before me.
George Washington didn't own this house; his own house was in Mount Vernon. Washington was paying rent on this house to a family called Potts. He stayed there for exactly 6 months.

I saw a few things that reminded me of my friend Jack.
First, an old typewriter in the train station:


And an old grandfather clock in George Washington's headquarters.


We stopped by the George Washington Memorial Chapel (an active Episcopal church). It was beautiful.


I mentioned earlier that it was raining. It was raining on and off all day.
Luckily I have an umbrella.




If the rain comes they run and hide their heads.
They might as well be dead.
If the rain comes, if the rain comes.

Rain, I don't mind.
Shine, the world looks fine.


I was feeling quite at home.
Personally, I absolutely love the rain. I would take the rain over sun any day.

This morning I woke up at 6 AM with a migraine. Luckily the headache part wasn't so bad. I "threw up" twice. Since I had nothing in my stomach except water and Advil, that came up first. Then it was just bile from my liver. This is my second migraine on this trip. I hope it doesn't become a regular thing!

Now I should probably post this. We're headed into Philadelphia today!

3 comments:

  1. The rain pictures are so pretty! And you're right- rain is awesome.

    I decided to finish reading the blog post despite answering the Shakespeare incorrectly xD

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved it all! Looks like you're having tons of fun =D

    AHHH! ACCENT! YAY! (referring to the video xD I loved the accent you had when you were singing!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. hope that migraine goes away quickly

    ReplyDelete