Saturday, May 25, 2013

Into Darkness

IT WAS EPIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!! AH AH AH AH AH AH!!!! EPIC MOVIE! EPIC STAR TREK! EPIC EPIC EPIC!
AHHH!! AHHHHHHHH!!!!! AH!
EPICNESS OVERLOAD!!!!!!!!!!!!

Okay. Calm down.
So. I went to see Into Darkness tonight and here is my (hopefully) spoiler free review!

Let's get the bad out of the way first..... Lots of swear words in this one - more than the last one. A lot of b-words (both of them) and two or three s-words. I think a few h and d-words as well.
Also, some intense scenes... Several people die... and more people get sucked out of airlocks. There was one part (where Benedict Cumberbatch's [spellcheck does not like his name] character squeezes a man's head until his skull collapses... At least, I think that's what happened. I didn't watch that part.
Viewer discretion is advised! Although there were an awful lot of young kids in the theater tonight... *shakes head* Parents these days.
There was also a scene (shown in the trailer, of course) where Dr. Carol Marcus is only in her underwear.... But it isn't as bad as she looks. Believe it or not, she's actually only changing.
Then there's the scene where Kirk wakes up with two women in bed with him....
A couple characters also visit a bar.

Now the good:
AH OH MY GOODNESS THIS MOVIE WAS EPIC! Seriously: epic is the only word to describe it.
Okay, so I had really low expectations going into this movie. I was expecting it to be exactly like the other one.... The trailer's looked like the movie was all going to be explosions and fight scenes and battles - which I am not all that fond of.
Though Into Darkness had a lot of that, there was also some good character time and some SUPER funny lines. I loved the part where Scotty's running down the airlock going, "Captain, I'm running!"
Then there was a certain scene at the end that totally MIRRORED a scene from one of the movies... which was SOOOO cool! In my opinion. 'Cause this is an alternate timeline, it makes sense that things that happen in the Original series/movies happens in these movies... and I think they did a fantastic job doing that with this movie! Was it horrible that during that scene when Spock yelled a certain something I was laughing my head off? I was expecting Benedict Cumberbatch's character to go: "I will leave you as you left me... marooned for all eternity in the center of a dead planet.... buried alive."
Then there was the scene where Kirk woke up that reminded me of The Return of the King when Frodo wakes up... All those white sheets....
And it was SO hilarious when Kirk turns to Chekov and says, "Chekov, put on a red shirt" and Chekov looks back at Kirk with fear in his eyes.... because he KNOWS he's a dead man in a red shirt. xD That was so funny, even though I don't think it was meant to be.
Then there was Benedict Cumberbatch's character.... WOW WOW WOW! I must say, I've known all along about his real identity... because someone let it slip when they first hired BC. So I was expecting that. But I LOVED the twist!
THERE WAS A TRIBBLE!!! And it was amazing.
There were also super interesting (spoilers) Klingons. I must say, these ones were too... bald for my taste. I like to old ones better.
And Mickey the Idiot from Doctor Who! Wow, he made me sad. I thought he'd have a bigger part.
Something that really confused me.... He wore that ring that did that one thing, y'know? Well, weren't Scotty and Admiral Marcus wearing identical rings? Maybe they were just Starfleet issue rings or something...
The ending was ABSOLUTELY PERFECT!!! Oh my goodness! That was SUCH a great way to end the film! With the Original music and stuff....

Even though Original Series and Next Gen and all the original type shows (Enterprise excluded) are and always shall be my favorites.... Into Darkness was a very very good edition to the Trek family of movies. And I can totally see the next movie being more character/adventure centered rather than action/destroy the bad guy centered.

So yes, I enjoyed this. I want to go see it again. Ugh... Now I want to go watch First Contact or something. xD I need some Picard.

Live long and prosper!

1 comment:

  1. Great review!!! Great. great. great! So glad you liked it!

    Oh, and I think BC let it slip who he was playing. He's horrible at keeping spoilers.

    ReplyDelete