Wednesday, January 2, 2013

A Christmas Carol. (Book review).

Title: A Christmas Carol. (Book #9 of the Vancouver Sun classics.)

Author: Charles Dickens.

Synopsis: A gruff, rough, mean old man is taken on a trip to his past, present, and future and shown the Christmas spirit.

My rating: 8/10.

Why I liked the story: I loved Dicken's writing style. It was very humorous! His description was also very good.
His character development was pretty good too.
A Christmas Carol is a Christmas classic, for sure. As recognizable as the characters are, one really has to read the actual story to understand the full meaning behind the story.
And I loved Scrooge's nephew and the Christmas party Scrooge watched.
The sheer number of different places and characters Scrooge saw was very cool. It kept me entertained.
It was a fairly easy read - my copy is only 92 pages long.

Why I disliked the story: The spirits were kind of interesting... They served their purpose. God wasn't really mentioned. Instead there was a spirit world, which Scrooge was privileged to see.
Some smaller children might find the story scary.

Will I read it again? Yes! It might become a book a read every Christmas.

Would I recommend this book? Yes! Not only is this book a classic, is is a Christmas classic all about how the season should be about loving and not greed. It is a good read for everyone at Christmastime!

Live long and prosper!

3 comments:

  1. I am not a big fan of Dickens, but I did like this book and plain to, try, to read it every year for Christmas. It is a great Christmas story, and an even better reminder of one of the reasons we celebrate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds interesting! I will have to read it sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you make some cookies you must take pictures so we can see yours 8-D

    Aw, now I feel bad for you. I need to send you some ham. Except, there are no left overs...I could send you turkey.

    Do you watch Merlin?

    ReplyDelete