Thursday, July 5, 2012

I shall improve my mind with extensive reading.

My summer plan is to finish my science book, finish my math book, finish my novel, and read. Extensively.
I am going to try finish four books before the end of summer. The first is The Two Towers by J.R.R. Tolkien, which I am currently reading. The other four are the first four books in the Vancouver Sun books that I received from my aunt. The 32 classics include small books, like The Hound of Baskervilles and The Jungle Book, but also includes big volumes like Oliver Twist, Ivanhoe, and Moby Dick.



It would be impossible for me to choose which book to start with; luckily I won't have to. I believe that the books came out every month or so and you had to order them all separately. They are all numbered from 1-32. I will be reading them in order. Our of all 32 books, I have only read 4 1/2 of them! I am very excited to read so many great classics.



The first on the list is The Jungle Book by Rudyard Kipling. Next is The Secret Garden.
My plan is to read a big, hard to get through novel at the same time as reading one from the Vancouver Sun books.
I start now!
What about the rest of this blog post?
I start in 5 hours!


I'm gonna keep you guys updated as to my progress, partly because it gives me something to blog about and partly so you can hold me accountable! I'm not a good reader.... I love to read, but I'm not good at it. If I come to a paragraph heavy on description, I tend to stop reading, set the book down, and stare off into nothingness for awhile. If I get bored with a book, I tend to put it down and not pick up again until I've forgotten the storyline and have to start over at the beginning. I have a whole bunch of books on my "to read" list but they keep ending up back on the list because I never finished them the first time!
Well, I'm determined to do something to change that. I am going to read through this set of books whether I find the stories interesting, boring, or a mix of in between. I am going to call this part of my homeschooling. These books are required reading as of NOW!

Speaking of my "to read" list.... It is VERY long. I am going to write it down on this blog post so I can remember it, add to it, cross things off it, and hopefully get through these books before I am a little old lady!

In no particular order, my "to read" list:

1. Vancouver Sun books by various authors.
2. The Two Towers by J.R.R. Tolkien.
3. Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte.
4. Emma by Jane Austin.
5. Books by Charles Dickens.
6. Books by Jules Verne.
7. Books by H.G. Wells.
8. Kidnapped by Robert Louis Stevenson.
9. Re-read Watership Down by Richard (?) Adams.
10. Re-read The Freedom Factor by Gerald L. Lund.
11. Re-read The Alliance by same author.
12. The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams.
13. Leviathan by Scott Westerfield.
14. I am Lavina Cumming by unknown author.
15. The Return of the King by J.R.R. Tolkien.
16. The Silmarillion by J.R.R. Tolkien.
17. Re-read Robin Hood by Howard Pyle.
18. The Doings of Raffles Haw by Arthur Conan Doyle.
19. A biography on J.R.R. Tolkien.
20. More of the Bible.
EDIT- I forgot one or two....
21. The Princess Bride by unknown author.
22. C.S. Lewis books (mainly, The Screwtape Letters and the space trilogy).

And there you have it. Altogether that is somewhere around 60 or 70 books (if you include the actual 32 books from the Vancouver Sun set and the individual books from Dickens, Verne, and Well).
So, I have a busy few years of reading in front of me. I'm looking forewards to it. If you have any of the books I mentioned above, please tell me what you thought of them! Also, if you have any specific Dickens, Jules Verne, and H.G. Wells books you would recommend, please comment down below as well!

This afternoon I finally decided, since I'm re-writing so much of this particular part of my novel, why not just type it instead of handwriting it all? So that's what I did. And I probably got more done typing than writing the entire time I've been editing. I got a whooping 3500 words done! How exciting! I'm starting to think that maybe, just maybe, I will be able to get the entire novel done by the end of August... Maybe. =)

Have a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment