Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Happy 4th of July!

Happy Independence Day everyone!

Take a moment to contemplate how much freedom has been won for us. But never forget that freedom is NEVER free.


Freedom is not Free
By Abbey
6/28/12
(Written for the ceremony where I received my dog tags.)

If there is one thing that I have learned in the history class I just completed, it is that freedom is NEVER free. Whether it be a free sample of food or the freedom of a nation, someone is always paying the price.
In an age where we rely on our government to supply our every need and want, I have to ask, what is wrong with us?
Our Founding Fathers fought and died for the freedoms we enjoy today. They shut themselves up in a hot room during the summer months to bring us our Constitution.
The Civil War was a war fought about freedom.
During World War 1, men were "privileged to spend their blood for the principles that gave the United States of America birth and happiness," as President Woodrow Wilson said.
If we had not joined World War 2, who knows what foreign occupation we would be under now.
Thomas Paine said, "If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace."
So much blood was spilled to bring us so much freedom. Why, then, do we not show our gratitude?
I recently returned from a long historical trip with my mother. We went to such places as Boston; Philadelphia, the birthplace of America; and Washington DC.
Over and over again in these places I witnessed children disrespecting the very places where our freedom was won.
They did care that they were standing in the very room where the Declaration of Independence AND Constitution were signed. They did not care they were holding the exact handrail George Washington did as he ascended to his bed every night. They did not care to learn the history of our nation and the Constitution which has made us who we are.
Is this the future our Founding Fathers intended for us? A nation of people who don't care about anything important, just so long as the government is taking care of them?
What happened to, "Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country."
What happened to, "We the people."
Our freedoms are slipping away. If we want a change, we must make it ourselves, not rely on others to do it. I am willing to die for my freedom if it comes down to it. What are YOU willing to do?
My debt of honor is to educate myself and others of that very point: that freedom is never free.

It's not the best thing ever written, but I didn't have much time to edit it as I wrote it about an hour before the ceremony!
But it nicely fits my thoughts together in a coherent way.

Right now my family and I are watching live footage from Washington DC where they are having a big 4th of July celebration. And we're watching it on our new TV! Our old one had something wrong with it and had annoying lines on the top of the screen... So now we have a new TV. And we bought a blu-ray player so I can FINALLY watch the Tintin DVD special features!!!! =D

To quote my mother, "I feel like such a loser.... Everyone else is at the store to shop for 4th of July BBQ supplies... We're here to buy BBQ supplies, but not for a party."
So yes, we are not attending any big parties. We probably won't even see any fireworks. O.o Unless we climb on the roof.
Is it strange that I can remember EXACTLY what I was doing last year on 4th of July? My mom and I were visiting my grandparents. They were at a party while Mom and I stayed at their house and watched StarGate SG-1. If you think I have a good memory now, just wait for what I tell you next. I can remember which episode we were watching!! People, it's a 10 season show! I remember the most random and strange things. I can remember these two guy's Bdays from my church because I saw their Bdays mentioned in the bulletin once a long time ago.
Anyway, not the point. The point is that I was watching the SG-1 episode where Sha're's son was visiting and Daniel Jackson has this whole elaborate vision of himself taking over the world.


I also remember pausing this particular episode to look outside and catch a glimpse of fireworks.
I wonder if I will remember this particular 4th of July? Probably, because I'm blogging about it. :P
Anyway... I don't really have anything else to say, except HAPPY 4th OF JULY! =D



1 comment:

  1. Happy 4th a day late! We didn't do fireworks, mostly due to the fact its so dry, but we did see them on the 3rd!
    It was a good speech. Speeches aren't easy to write (or give).

    ReplyDelete