Thursday, June 20, 2013

The Last of the Really Great Whangdoodles.

I have a book review for you! I first read this book years ago for a book club (says my mom... I don't remember the book club part. But I trust her) and I recently picked it up again.

 

(It's got such a beautiful cover!)

Author: Julie Andrews Edwards. Yes, as in Julie Andrews. =)

 

Synopsis: Three siblings join Professor Savant in the search for the Whangdoodle, who lives in the mysterious Whangdoodleland. They come across many strange creatures and must trust their imaginations to take them where they most want to go.

My rating: 8/10.

What I didn't like/things you should know: This book was obviously not written by a Christian... I'll just say that. There are several things that I don't agree with theologically. Professor Savant is a genetics scientist who has figured out how to make life. There are two mentions where characters say, "If we're going to start playing God, we need to be careful and respectful" or something along those lines. Which I don't agree with... God is the only one who can create life.
There's also the theme of "if you believe enough, you will eventually (always) get what you want." Though this isn't portrayed as a bad thing in the book (it's used as motivation to reach the Whangdoodle) I think it can be twisted to be bad... Like, if you beg enough for a new toy, your parents will eventually bend and get it for you.

What I did like: This is a very creative book. It reminds me a lot of Narnia because the children go into another world.
Ah, the children! I LOVE stories about siblings. I'd forgotten how much I love stories about siblings until I read this book. Now I want to go re-read the Narnia series and E. Nesbit's books. I think my most favorite kind of story ever is siblings getting into adventures. Maybe that's why I love Pride and Prejudice so much... That's all about siblings.
Anyway, Julie Andrews describes everything in her world - but it isn't the Tolkien-type of description. It is easy to read and doesn't go on and on.
Whangdoodleland is a very colorful place - the trees are purple and the grass is blue. The water sings and there are all sorts of different creatures. The Sidewinders are cannon-shaped guards of the Whangdoodle.... The Swamp Gaboons and monkey-creatures who love to shout insulting things in your face. The Prock is the slimy Prime Minister of Whangdoodleland (though he isn't as bad as he seems. I really like him). The Whiffle Bird is all colors of the rainbow and absolutely adorable. The Highbehind Splintercat is a buddle of laughs. And the Whangdoodle himself... He grows slippers on his feet! How cool is that?
And you can't forget about Professor Savant.... He's as colorful as Whangdoodleland in the way that he dresses! And he has an umbrella with butterflies on it.
It's a really cute book that I love.... except for those two ideas that I mentioned above. Otherwise, this is a GREAT children's book. It shows the importance of imagination. Plus, who doesn't love a colorful land?

Have I read it before? Yes. This is my fourth or fifth time reading it.

Will I read it again? Yes! Someday to my own children.

Would I recommend it? Yes. I think it's a great adventure and a quick easy read.

And now I shall sign off for the weekend! We're going camping so don't expect a peep out of me until Monday!

Live long and prosper.

P.S. Have any of you gone camping yet this year? Had any adventures? Finished any good books?

2 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, I remember this book! I read it way back in elementary school and it was amazing back then! I never realized who wrote it, though. (It makes it even more awesome, because she's a favorite actress of mine.) I may have to reread it now...

    No camping this year, though I did have an adventure at the theater last night, if one could call it that. (Seriously, it's impossible to find bathrooms in theaters sometimes.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read this book, but I did know that Julie Andrews was an author. I've read her book "Mandy" which was quite interesting. I'll have to keep an eye out for Whangdoodles!

    ReplyDelete