Every day, she will be posting on one of the worlds she has created for her stories, and different bloggers will be interviewing characters from that specific world. I have the honor to welcome Shasta, from the Trilogy of One to my blog to be interviewed!
The Trilogy of One follows the adventures of a girl who finds a dwarf in her closet, and follows it into a world she never knew existed.
Without further ado, onto the questions.
1. The series is called the Trilogy of One. Trilogy and One are seemingly contradictory; Shasta, can you tell me how the two words reconcile themselves?
Trilogy means a series with three books in it, and that's what my series has (though Kendra admits that she isn't certain what the last book is about). In the Land of the Fallen Rainbow, I'm called the One ... it has to do with the prophecy that says that I'll hunt down the Nine Gems of Virtue and save the land and all that ... I'm not sure how I'm going to do that, but ...
2. You were born with crooked legs, can you tell a little more about that? Has it been a difficult thing to live with?
Yes, I was. The doctor said that I would probably never walk, but my parents refused to believe that. I've had many operations, and now I don't even need braces to walk. But my legs still aren't straight, and they're covered in scars from all of the operations.
3. Why do the kids at school tease you, and how do you deal with the negativity that brings?
Because I'm different. I look different, partly because of my legs, and partly because I'm the tallest kid in my class. I'm only eleven, and I'm almost as tall as our teacher. My mom's over six feet though, so it makes sense, but most of the kids haven't met my mother. I think different - I don't understand the games they play, and I don't learn the same way.
It's been difficult. I was looking forward to "Real School" so much, and now that I'm there ... Mother and Granma encourage me to "do my best" and "ignore them," but it doesn't always help.
4. Can you tell us more about the dwarf that leads you into the Land of the Fallen Rainbow? How tall is he? Does he have a beard? Why was he in your closet?
His name is Flewder, and he comes to about my waist. No, he doesn't - but I believe I've heard someone say that it's a sign of disgrace. He did something - I'm not sure what, that brought the present feud between the elves and dwarves, and now he's not allowed to wear one. He was in my closet because he was the one who found the box for the Nine Gems of Virtue, and is therefore the "Helper" and it was his job to go get the "One" - namely me. Apparently there's some sort of portal in my closet.
5. I was reading some snippets from the Trilogy of One and was wondering if you could tell the readers more about “flowstones”?
It's a slab of black rock that moves like water. Very fast. I really don't know that much about it.
Thanks for the interview, Shasta!
You can learn more about Kendra, Shasta, the Land of the Fallen Rainbow, and Kendra's party on Kendra's blog (linked above)!
Live long and prosper.