Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Top Tuesday: Top Eleven Period Dramas.

I am starting something new. Every Tuesday I will post a list of my "Top ______ _______'s."
Today, I will be starting with my Top eleven favorite period dramas. I will start with the highest number and end with my number one favorite.
(Also, just by the way, I have seen at least five more period dramas than those on the list, but since they didn't make a huge impact on me, they won't be listed).

11. Cranford.
Cranford is a lively drama set in a small town in the 1840's.


Cranford is run by the ladies, who love to gossip and tell all sorts of stories.
Cranford (and Return to Cranford) is full of fun, lively characters who do hilarious things (like dress up the cow in pajamas and put a bird in a hoop skirt).
I enjoy Cranford, although it's a bit too sad.... Everyone dies! Well, not everyone. But a whole lot of people die - and I don't like stories where people die all the time. (MOFFAT!!!)

10. Sense and Sensibility (2008).


I did a review (of sorts) here.

9. Mansfield Park (1983).


Mansfield Park is one of the less-popular Austin novels... and the film adaptions don't do too well either, I think. I, however, love Mansfield Park. I don't know what it is about it... I just love it. This particular version is probably my favorite because it's the one I saw first, and I really like the actress who plays Fanny. I also love it when Fanny goes home... Her family is so strange.
I've seen one other version of Mansfield Park... One starring Billie Piper as Fanny. I really enjoyed that one as well... But for some odd reason, I don't remember much of it. Maybe because half the time I was going, "Rose! Rose! Why are you in the 1800's Rose? Did the Doctor drop you off?!" and the other half of the time I was going, "MR. ELTON! How come you aren't despicable in this one? You're so nice! How is that possible?!"

8. Downton Abbey.

 

Most people have heard of Downton Abbey. It's one of those popular British shows that everyone loves... Kind of like Doctor Who, Sherlock, and Merlin. It's set in the early 1900's, and shows the rich life of the Crawley family, and their servants. The social structures collapse during the First World War (which takes places in Season 2) and master fights next to servant.
It is all very interesting and a great show (although there is some questionable material).

7. Persuasion (1995 - It was a very good year.... for Jane Austin films....)

 

Because it's Jane Austin. And I love this adaption, even though I haven't seen any other ones, and even though I haven't read the book, and even though I have no clue if it's accurate or not.

6. Sherlock Holmes, starring Jeremy Brett.


THE best interpretation of the Sherlock Holmes books that I have seen. It is so accurate to the books. Jeremy Brett would read each script and if something wasn't like the books, he would make the writers change it.
He looks like Sherlock Holmes, he acts like Sherlock Holmes, he IS Sherlock Holmes.

5. The Scarlet Pimpernel (1982).

 

I saw this recently and oh my word... It was amazing! I have heard great things about it and boy, my sources were right. Now I really want to read the book (though I've heard the movie version is different from the book).
I laughed so hard at some parts... Great movie. "Sink meh!"

4. Sense and Sensibility (1995).


 
Colonel Brandon = Alan Rickman! Enough said.
Hee hee kidding.
Sense and Sensibility is one of my favorite Austin books, and this version with Emma Thompson is great. She's a wonderful actress. Everyone else fits their parts well also. Except maybe Edward... I have yet to find a perfect Edward.

3. Master and Commander.

 

I'm not entirely sure this counts as a period drama... But whatever, it's one of my favorites.
The music is amazing, Russell Crowe is amazing, the doctor dude whose name I never remember is amazing... It's all great. Plus it takes place on a ship! I love stories that take place on ships, on stories where people are on a ship that gets shipwrecked.
Anyway, it is one of my all time favorite movies. (Warning: There is one use of the F-word.)

2. Pride and Prejudice (1995 - told you it was a good year for Jane Austin adaptions).


This is one of those period dramas that I will never get tired of watching... Even though it is six hours long. It just has a way of drawing you in... Ask my dad! We started watching it with him and then my mom and I went on our big trip over the summer and he finished watching it without us!
This adaption of Pride and Prejudice is also the most accurate to the book that I've seen.

And now... *drumroll* my favorite period drama.....

1. Emma (2009).

 

This is another of those period dramas that I could watch over and over and over again.
Emma is by far my mom and I's favorite. I haven't read Emma, but from what I gather, this version is very close to the book.
Plus the costumes are beautiful! And the music is wonderful! And the actors are brilliant! (See Jonny Lee Miller on the right? Sherlock Holmes from Elementary!)

And there you have it! Tomorrow I will try my best to comment on every one's blogs... since I haven't for a few days. I have been reading all your posts, though!

Live long and prosper!

3 comments:

  1. I don't watch any period dramas, really. Though I do enjoy looking at all the dresses and going 'Oh! Oh! I want that one! And that one! And that one, especially!' :p

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everyone says I need to watch Downton Abbey. I am considering it, but I don't really care for DRAMA dramas. But it sounds really good. And I am under orders to watch Emma, I just can't find it anywhere 8-P. I have found all her others, but this one likes hiding.

    I saw that Since and Sinceablity with Alan Rickman. He was great in it, though I'd only ever seen him as a bad guy so it was weird watching him as a good guy.

    I'm also DYING to find Cranford! I love stories like that, all taking place in little towns with every day things certain opeople make more interesting just because they are weird.

    Also, The Scarlet Pimpernel. The book was good, but this is one where I like the movie better, for certain reasons. The movie was SO funny, I almost fell out of my chair more then once.

    OH!! I had the same reaction as you when he said he believed in Sherlock Holmes. I think I had a moment of stuttering, something like, "YOU CAN'T SAY THAT! WATSON BELIEVES IN SHERLOCK HOLMES! YOUR SHERLOCK IS STILL ALIVE!" I wonder if they will be doing the fall? Joan is going to kill him if he fakes his own death...

    As well, I am wondering what happened to Jaspert. Deryn never even thought of him after she joined the Leviathan. I feel bad for him. Left behind, and then forgotten. By his own sister. *SMirk*

    Aye, Eleven is very different. For some reason I always think of him as one of those people who have lost so much they just joke around because they don't know how else to handle it. I like him...he's not my favourite Doctor - Nine and Ten will always be two of my favourites. But he is fun, just in later series...I'm not sure what to think of him in those. (Mainly I do not like the actor as much. He became famous over night pretty much, but unlike David Tennent it kind of went to his head. I watched the interviews. In the first ones he was very nice but then he changed, almost everything. So I think that is why I am not as fond of 11.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Of course Master and Commander should be a period drama! Why not! I think that it's actually set around the same time as the Jane Austin novels. And if those are period dramas, why shouldn't Master and Commander be one... then again, M&C is a bit... violent and gross compared to Jane Austin... but that doesn't enter into whether or not it's a period drama. IDK.

    ~Robyn Hoode

    ReplyDelete