Tuesday, May 8, 2012

On the mend!

It was thought that I had strep throat or possibly mono, so I was brought into the doctor's office yesterday to be tested. They did the strep throat test right in the office and it came back negative (yay!) but for the mono test, they had to draw blood.... I'm not terrified with needles or blood, but I don't like them. Especially when I'm the one getting a shot, having blood drawn, or bleeding.
My veins are so deep, they had to poke me 4 times.... It was nasty. And then the test came back negative.... I didn't have to be poked 4 times after all! *Sigh* Oh well, at least I don't have mono!
My sore throat has gone away (although my voice keeps coming and going) and I'm not sneezing anymore. Or blowing my nose. (I believe I went through three tissue boxes!) I'm still coughing, which is horribly annoying....
I also have an ear infection. It is what has been making me have a fever and be sick for the past week.
I'm taking some medicine for it.... But I'm not allowed to eat wheat (bread, crackers, pasta, etc.), dairy (milk, cheese, alfredo sauce, etc.), or sweet things (juice, candy, pudding, yogurt, most fruit, ice crea, practically everything else you can think of). I am, however, allowed to have meat, most vegitables, leafy greens, watermelon, and strawberries!

While being sick, I've been watching Jane Austin movies.
Namely, Pride and Prejudice:


The 6-hour version starring Colin Firth and Jennifer Ehle! I love this version, it's so amazing. Plus it's super long, which is good when you have an afternoon to spare because your sick.

I've also been watching Emma (I'm actually watching it right now for the second time in a week):


The 4-hour version! Also a good one to watch when you have a free afternoon or evening to spare because your sick.
This version of Emma was made in 2009 by the BBC and it is amazing!
See the guy on the right, in the picture (the young guy)? His name is Jonny Lee Miller. He's playing Sherlock Holmes in a new series that the CBS is making. It's called "Elementary."
I am not happy about "Elementary."
I have many reasons for this, the number one being that the CBS is making Watson a girl.
There are other reasons, of course. Like, "Elementary" is set in present day (like BBC's "Sherlock"). "Elementary" is set in New York (instead of London, where the books are set). Watson is a girl. Jonny Lee Miller, although a fantastic actor, doesn't look like Sherlock Holmes (after Jeremy Brett and Benedict Cumberbatch playing Sherlock Holmes, I don't think another actor could ever come close to looking like Holmes). Evidently, the plot line is that Sherlock Holmes is a former Scotland Yard investegator (not a private consulting detective like that books?????) who goes to New York with his friend Joan Watson (who is a girl...). They go to New York because Sherlock Holmes is a recovering drug addict and he has to go to rehab. Watson is a GIRL!
It sounds very far off from Sherlock Holmes, if you ask me. And Watson as a girl?! That can't work. It's impossible. I refuse to believe it.
I don't think I'll be watching "Elementary."
It sounds too far off from Sherlock Holmes and there's already another Sherlock Holmes series which holds my attention. BBC's "Sherlock" may be modern, but they keep it near the stories.

Speaking of "Sherlock." Season two FINALLY aired in the United States! I saw the first episode ("A Scandal in Belgravia" based off of "A Scandal in Bohemia" by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle) on Sunday night and I eagerly anticipate the second episode!

Now I shall post this so I can give "Emma" my full attention.

1 comment:

  1. Nice post about BBC Sherlock.

    For a different look at 'A Scandal in Belgravia', check out my review .

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete