Thursday, November 7, 2013

The past seven days...

...of NaNoWriMo have passed in a blur.
I'm currently 63 words away from 14,000 words and I'm finally starting to enjoy my novel.
It's titled A Pretty Face Can Hide An Evil Mind. It's a line that comes from this song:


Daniel and Varina, my heroes from my two previous NaNo projects (NaNoWriMo 2012, and Camp NaNoWriMo in April 2013) have to go undercover to stop a dastardly plot to destroy the government.

The first 8,000 words or so were very painful to write. Not because of anything evil... It's just I'm so burned out from all the work on After the Twelfth Night that my writing has fallen to a very low quality. Finally, though, things are starting to warm up. I'm starting to enjoy my characters more. There's more description (the first 8,000 words or so are almost all primary dialogue) and my writing has finally gotten to a level where I feel comfortable sharing snippets!
Here, have the one good piece of writing in all 14,000 words (and it's a very raw "good" piece of writing):


Varina lovingly pulled out Mansfield Park by Jane Austen and settled down to read, forgetting her tiredness for the moment.
Daniel chose a shorter book to read – if, indeed it could even be called a book. He had to search through the bag carefully, but finally he found what he was looking for… Down on the very bottom was a collection of Beethoven sonatas, which he took out and began studying intently, occasionally breaking out in a spurt of humming, while his fingers exuberantly played an invisible keyboard on the bed in front of him.
Mansfield Park because I just started reading it last night and I'm really enjoying it so far! Though I do feel sorry for Fanny.

While my story has started warming up... my character's have decided to turn on me. Alright, maybe not all of them at once... But Daniel has given me two pieces of information - one helpful, and one not-so-much.
The helpful one is that he finally told me his middle name(s)! Lots of ideas and two books later... he finally told me his middle name(s).
Here, have the only other piece of goodish writing from the first 14k:

“So, names,” said the Big Boss. “We were thinking of Rupert for you, Daniel.”
“Sorry,” said Daniel. “Rupert is my middle name.”
“I thought Charles was your middle name?” asked the Big Boss. “That’s what the file says…” he started digging around for Daniel’s file.
“Charles is my middle name, sir…” said Daniel, turning a little red. “But Rupert is my middle name too. Daniel Charles Rupert Adams.”
“The Third?” asked Varina.
“No, but I have high hopes for my first born son,” said Daniel.
As well as giving me his middle names... Daniel has also decided to spring on me that he went to Juilliard for a year in his late teens. Juilliard is one of the foremost music school in the world (I believe... I actually don't know too much about it). I was thinking, okay, that's fine. Just so long as Juilliard isn't in New York. I looked it up. It's in New York! This is a problem, Daniel! Why? Because Daniel is from England and before the first book in my series, he had never been to New York... so I thought. Even now, he's cowering in a corner and apologizing in an adorable stammer. He didn't think it was relevant until now... he's sorry...
Yeah, well, you should have thought about telling me before I started writing this series, Daniel Adams!


I'm not crazy, I promise. Okay, maybe a little crazy.

Anyway, I've been listening to quite a bit of Vivaldi and Paul McCartney. And a song called Weep You No More, Sad Fountains, which I would really like to sing in voice lessons. And I've been listening to a few of the songs from The Great Train Robbery movie. It has a super cool soundtrack.

Well, back to writing! I want to get at least 150 more words before updating my word count and doing something else.

Look forwards to a review of Canterbury Tales coming soon... I finally finished it! Huzzah! That was a painful book to get through.

1 comment:

  1. Good luck with Nano! Sounds like a fun story.

    Kind of like the voices in your head quote, I've seen a tshirt in a catalog that said "Writer's block: when my imaginary friends aren't talking to me" ...I think I need that shirt :)

    ReplyDelete