Friday, September 13, 2013

"The theater, the theater, what's happened to the theater?"

Let's just take a moment to say how absolutely amazing musicals are...

 



My first musical love.


Need I say more? My favorite Christmas movie. Plus Bing... Plus Danny Kaye = AMAZING. Danny Kaye is a legend. And one of the most talented actors/comedians/people in the world.


Two words: Donald. O'Connor. Another one of the most talent people in the world.

 
Plus Debbie Reynolds, who is Princess Leia's mom... And Gene Kelly, who is, of course, amazing also.
Guess what? We're singing Singin' in the Rain in choir this year! Guess who's excited?

 
I like how Frank's name is before Gene Kelly's, even though Gene is the main character. (Edit: I just re-watched this movie yesterday. It's so cute! And Jose Iturbi is a genius)

 
Did you know Frank Sinatra was 30 in this movie? He looks 18! He was 40 in Guys and Dolls.

Tonight I watched both I Love Melvin, and Singin' in the Rain, starring Debbie Reynolds and Donald O'Connor. I Love Melvin is a little-known, cute, 72 minute musical with some great songs and dance numbers - including one where Donald O'Connor dances on roller skates!


And now I'm left thinking... Why can't we dress like this:

 
Or this?

 

(Donald O'Connor and Vera-Ellen in Call Me Madman. Look at that skirt!)

Or this?


(From I Love Melvin)

There's about a million others I could mention...

Hello Dolly
Oklahoma
Wicked
Les Miserables
Fiddler on the Roof
Gypsy
Chess (this is one my parent's like that I know nothing about)
West Side Story
Bye Bye Birdie
Annie
Grease
Marry Poppins
Into the Woods
Seussical
Cats
The Phantom of the Opera
The Sound of Music
My Fair Lady
Call Me Madman
Marry Poppins
Cinderella
Anything Goes...

I'm sure there's millions more.

So, until Tomorrow! Tomorrow! there's always, tomorrow! It's only a day away...

2 comments:

  1. Wow. That's a lot of musicals, Abbey. I've only seen a handful of them: The Sound of Music, Oklahoma, Singin' in the Rain, Mary Poppins, and I've also seen The King and I and Rodgers and Hammerstein's Cinderella, which aren't on your list. I have plans to see Les-Mis (I'm reading the book).

    ~Robyn Hoode

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no! I forgot about The King and I and Cinderella! And Cinderella is one of my favorites too... Thanks for reminding me of them.
      I've only seen a handful of them also, but there's lots I want to see!

      Delete