Monday, August 24, 2015

San Juan Island 2015

Every year, my family, some friends, and I make a pilgrimage to San Juan Island to camp and wait for the local Orca whale pods to swim by.
This year, the whales spoiled us. Usually, they are far out in the ocean and you can only see them with binoculars or a really good camera. This year, they came so close! And not just once... nearly every time we saw them they were super close!

Porpoising like a dolphin


Hello! This spyhoping Orca is named Spock!



We also saw two beautiful sunsets.



My mom and I got up at 4:30 in the morning to go to the bathroom and the moon was beautiful, shining on the water! You can see the lights of Vancouver Island faintly, too.



I hiked up Young Hill twice (from two different directions).

The view from the top.
We went to Lime Kiln lighthouse several times. It is the prime spot on the island to watch the whales. In the summer, researchers carefully track the whales, so you can get a lot of information at the lighthouse, too.


My friends and I played lots and lots of games and did many Mad Libs.
I also got stung by a bee for the first time in my life. I lasted nineteen years. And then, a wasp got stuck in my shirt, and stung me three times.
After ten days of sleeping on the ground, it is strange to be back in my bed again. I can't wait to go back again next year!

Live long and prosper.

No comments:

Post a Comment