Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Halloween Approacheth.

Every year I look forward to Halloween because it's the one day in the year that I can dress up and no one will care. Usually I spend Halloween at my friend's church, or at my own church. This year, however, I think I'm just going to stay home... Mostly because I really want to watch It's the Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown on TV.


Dressing up and Charlie Brown aren't the only Halloween traditions that I keep, though. Oh no. A big tradition (that I'm officially naming a tradition today) is that I must watch Garfield's Halloween Adventure.


(Candy, candy, candy, candy, CANDY, CANDY, CANDY!)
A little known fact about me is that I love Garfield the Cat. When I was younger, I read every single one of his comic books up 'til the 49th or 50th book. Since then I haven't been quite the fan as I once was... but sometimes, when I need a light read, I'll pull out a Garfield book (or a Calvin and Hobbes) and just read it. And whenever I can get my hands on a newspaper, I always turn to the comics.
In the 80's, several 30 minute shows of Garfield were made... There was one for Halloween, one for Thanksgiving, and one for Christmas. There were also a few depicting Garfield's travels...
Anyway, it's a great series with great music. The Halloween one is a great mix of funny and scary.
Garfield and Odie go out trick or treating and decide to go across the river to get even more candy. Their plans, however, are thwarted when Odie throws out the oars and they end up at a spooky old house. A man inside tells them a fearful tale of vengeful pirates and a hidden treasure somewhere in the house. The pirates a set to return from the grave that very night to reclaim their lost loot...
The ghosts are very scarily animated and even know, they creep me out.
Anyway, it's a great video... It's not on youtube anymore, sadly, but I found it elsewhere.
 
I kind of lost where this post was going to go, because I got busy doing other things.
 
What d you do for Halloween?
 
Live long and prosper.


2 comments:

  1. Our family doesn't celebrate Halloween, but Becca and I still love dressing up. We've done different things at our church with outreaches on that night and dressing like missionaries or bible characters. This year though, since Reformation Day is on the 31st too, we have a homeschooled family game night and we are going dressed in medieval costumes. (hopefully we won't be the only ones) :) We'll try to post about it tomorrow so you can see them. (I think they'll turn out pretty neat)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your movie choices. I love Charlie Brown, and all of the Grafield cartoons I've seen. (My brother still loves the comics and, whenever I can, I still read them in the newspaper. Them and the peanuts ones.)

    ReplyDelete