Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Top Tuesdays: Top Tolkien books (that I've read).

J.R.R. Tolkien is my favorite author so I thought I would do a Top Tuesdays with my favorite books (that I've read) from him!

7. The Tolkien Reader.

 

A collection of short stories by Tolkien... Including one about Tom Bombadil!
Also, Farmer Giles of Ham. It's a great story about a farmer who has to go kill a dragon.
The reason this book is on my last list is because I haven't read it for awhile and don't remember anything about it... Other than that is was good!

6. The Return of the King.
Again... I don't remember this book because it's been a long time since I read it. I'm sure it's still as good as when I first read it, though!

5. The Two Towers.
Great book - although it kind of drags in some parts.... And I can't seem to get through it! Argh!

4. Mr. Bliss.

 

Tolkien used to write stories for his children and Mr. Bliss is one of them. Mr. Bliss decides to trade his bicycle (which can only ride downhill) for a car. He then proceeds to run down a few people and wreck their modes of transportation... Mr. Bliss offers them rides and they go through a dark scary forest where they meet some bears. Then they go to someones house for dinner and the bears make trouble.
It is a very, very cute read and surprisingly long for a children's book. Tolkien illustrated it himself as well which is super cool. It's a great book.

3. Roverandom.
When one of Tolkien's sons lost a toy on the beach, Tolkien wrote a book about it!
Rover was a dog... until he bit the bum of a wizard, when then turned Rover into a toy. Rover runs away from home and has all sorts of adventures (he goes to the moon and to Atlantis on the bottom of the sea).
It's another very cute children's book. Tolkien also did some illustrations for this book.

2. The Fellowship of the Ring.
I re-read this last summer and really enjoyed it; more than I thought I would. I enjoyed it much more than I remembered.

1. The Hobbit!

 

Of course. =) The Hobbit is one of my favorite books. It is filled with fun and adventures and Hobbits!

So there you have it - my favorite Tolkien books that I have read.

In other news.... I rescued a book from the thrift store yesterday.

 

This copy is by Elinor M. Buckingham and was published in 1905 - that's over 100 years old!
I rescued it. The people at the thrift store put a big sticker over the front! Of a rare 1905 book!! I was outraged, so I rescued the book. Plus, you can't have too many copies of Robin Hood (since they're all different - based on the same legend)!

I also found this at the thrift store....

 

The Star Trek Magazine was run by Paramount and ran from 1999-2003. They were $8 a copy and were filled with cool Trek stuff - interviews, ship layouts, stuff you could buy, inside looks at how the writers write, bios on aliens.... stuff like that.
Well, before the the magazine came out in 1999, Paramount did four test editions in 1998. They only sold in two cities: Seattle and Columbus.
This magazine is one of those magazines (I feel like Randalf from Veggietales: Lord of the Beans).
Here's the best part, I got this rare copy for only 49 cents!
Of course, I doubt it's worth very much today, even though it is rare. But it means a lot to me. I get to see pictures from the "new" movie Insurrection (of course, if I really wanted to, I could just pop it into the TV and watch it instead). And how about that new Dax? And the DS9 and transporter technical briefings are super cool too!

Live long and prosper!

5 comments:

  1. SO glad you rescued the book! I do that as often as I can with old books. They need good homes where someone will care for them. And it is Robin Hood, everyone needs more Robin Hood in their lives.

    I need to read more of Tolkien's books. Especially the ones for kids.

    Aye, bowlers are VERY important. I have one actually, I don't wear it often because I am a bit shy about it but I'm trying to get over that because it is fun to wear.

    A Good Man Goes to War is such a sad, sweet one. I LOVED Rory in that one. And when he finally got to hold his baby girl, I wanted to bawl and hug him. And as much as I love the Ponds story, part of me will always wish they could have had a more normal life because I would have liked to see them as parents.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you, Jack! I would have loved to see the Ponds live a normal, happy life... sad.
    Yay for rescuing books!
    I think my favorite short story by Tolkien so far would be Smith of Wooton Major(it's included in the book Tales from the Perilous Realm). I really like its story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Hobbit is my favorite Tolkien book, followed closely by Return of the King, because I recall the brunt of the action happened there, plus I loved the whole shindig of going back to the Shire and finding that Wormtongue had taken over.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I like Mr. Bliss! from Grama

    ReplyDelete
  5. I usually try the same thing, to go into a book determined not to dislike it right off. This has gotten me through some dull parts and helped me in finding some really great books. Though with young adult books, I usually stop them part way through because I cannot stand the characters - mostly the girl who thinks she is better then men.

    The world needs book rescuers. I have found about three or four, one from the 1917's or so. It is falling a part so I have to be careful with it.

    Aye, my bowler is one of the nice ones. It has a silk over laying cover, actually if I can find the website I bought it from I will send it to you. I had the name all week but now I can't think of it. They have some really nice things there, goggles, boots - a lot of it costs a lot but it all looks well made so worth it. It's a Steampunk shoppe I've found once.
    So as soon as I find the link again I will send it your way, it is fun to look at 8-D

    ReplyDelete