Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Writing update: March 2015

In December I "finished" the fantasy novel I wrote in 2014 (I say "finished" because I got nearly to the end battle and then gave up, because I desperately needed to get my plot, characters, and world developed before I could continue writing).
Then, I posted my plan for planning, re-writing, and editing that novel. I finished the first step on Thursday night!

Step 1- Read through book, writing down inconsistencies, plot holes, and disappearing details. Also, taking note of changing scenes by separating them by a line.
Step 2- Go through story again, this time writing down each scene on a separate note card. Also, note (in the notebooks) all character traits and quirks with sticky notes.
Step 3- Arrange, rearrange, add, and subtract note card scenes. Eventually, come up with a detailed outline, complete with places for theme and character and plot development (via sticky notes attached to the note cards). Do world building on this step as well.
Step 4- Rewrite.
Step 5- Analyze. (Send to beta readers?)
Step 6- Rewrite and analyze some more.
Step 7- Edit. Copiously.
Step 8- Decide what to do with brilliant, finished manuscript.





Overall, the novel is much better than I anticipated, as far as the actual writing goes. The plot, however, is another subject. It could—and does—go so many ways! I think I've figured out which way is best, though, which makes me excited! My next step is to write out a summary of that plot and then start going through the book again, writing down scenes and looking for character traits (as step #2 says). I'm hoping to have this step done by June (July at the latest). Then, over the summer, I can work on an outline and world building. After that, I can rewrite! I'm hoping to have the second draft done by the end of the year. Then I can send it out to beta readers and get their opinions on the story and characters.

Meanwhile, I have some other writing projects looming on the horizon. First: Camp NaNoWriMo in April!

This is 2013's banner, because I don't think they've issued 2015 ones yet.
I'm going to be writing the fourth book in that one spyish series that I've mentioned millions of times. I don't know what to call it, because Daniel and Varina aren't spies, but they aren't secret agents either. They aren't detectives and they aren't really investigators. Mostly, they do paperwork, and undertake missions for a super secret government agency which specializes in finding important information.
Although this series lacks in plot (for the most part), it makes up for it in the characters. Daniel and Varina are the characters that I hold closest to my heart (sorry After the Twelfth Night and 2014 Fantasy Story and unwritten Steampunk Novel casts). They are probably the most developed of any of my characters and I love exploring their friendship and their dynamics with their families.
One of the characters—Andrew—is the first character I ever created. He's jumped from series to series, always staying relatively the same, and he ended up paired with Daniel and Varina. 
I have three Daniel and Varina novels written already, with the help of NaNoWriMo's of yesteryear. This fourth one follows Daniel and Varina as they go to London, to help Daniel's snobby, rich family with some sort of plot problem that I haven't come up with yet. To make matters worse, Varina has fallen and broken her leg, and her sister Beatrice has invited herself to come along to London to be Varina's caretaker.

From our trip.

Are any of you working on any exciting projects? 

Live long and prosper.

3 comments:

  1. That is a great game plan you've got there. I think if you stick to it, you will be extremely pleased with what you end up with. And it's great that the writing is already something you can see the quality in. You need both great writing *and* plot. So you're half way there.

    I'm currently polishing up a 50 page short story set in an Arabian fantasy setting. It's great to get to write a more traditional sort of story and I'm enjoying the shorter length after working on 350+ page novels for the past couple of years!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I'm a little nervous because I've never edited something like this before, but I think it will work well.
      That sounds like a super cool short story! They are much more manageable than 350 page novels, that's for sure. :)

      Delete
  2. CONGRATULATIONS! Even "finishing" is an accomplishment!

    I'm doing Camp NaNo too, we should roast marshmallows together.

    ReplyDelete