Wednesday, September 2, 2015

"I can make it longer if you like the style, I can change it 'round, and I want to be a paperback writer..."

And I thought rewriting would be fun... Ha. I've entered one of those my-story-is-terrible-why-am-I-doing-this stages and the only way I know to combat those is to keep pushing through, even if I think everything I'm writing is dull and boring and completely lacking in the character development department.
I think I found a way to make things a tiny bit better, though. Too many things were happening over too many chapters. It was bogging down the story. I kept wondering when these scenes would end, and when the plot would advance. So, as much as I hated doing it—because it messed up my entire outline—I combined several chapters into one and moved one entire chapter to later in the book, where I think it fits better. Now, my novel is two chapters shorter. When your book is 65 chapters to begin with, cutting out two chapters is probably a good thing.
Still, it's taking me about two hours on average to rewrite one chapter. It doesn't help that I'm having a bear of a time concentrating. The Internet keeps distracting me (and, yes, it is grammatically correct to capitalize "Internet"). Namely, comic con panels keep distracting me. The best one, by far, was the Muppets panel where the Muppets ACTUALLY JOINED IN ON THE PANEL! Their performers were right there, too, and you could see them Muppeteering their Muppets, but all you could see was the Muppet talking. It was as if the performer wasn't even there.
The Muppets constantly break forth wall; a movie or show can hardly go by without them mentioning that they are in a movie or TV show. But I have never seen the Muppets break their puppet forth wall. There were so many puppet puns flying around. It was surreal. And Steve Whitmire (Kermit's performer) is a little troublemaker. Half the panel is his snarky comments. It's hilarious.


Well, I should probably get back to rewriting... and tearing my hair out.

Live long and prosper.

1 comment:

  1. Aww, good luck on the re-writing! I don't have much experience with that stage of writing (I've only made it that far a couple times), but it is hard. But keep at it! You can do it!

    ReplyDelete